Pages

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Please welcome Karen Bergreen!!

Here are a few questions I had for Karen Bergreen, author of Perfect is Overrated and Following Polly. She also happens to post some very funny videos on Youtube, so be sure to check them out.


1. You previously worked as an attorney, just like the main character in your latest book Perfect is Overrated. How much is fact and how much is fiction in the book?

Kate is a much better attorney than I ever was.  I worked in the litigation department of a big law firm right out of school, and I spent a lot of time writing memos and admiring the vending machine. Then I clerked for a federal Judge, which meant a lot of time in the courtroom --and sometimes it was very dramatic.  But I'm not as brave as Kate.  I think real life criminals would scare me. I like manipulating the fictional ones. 


 
2. Why did you make the transition from attorney to writer/comedian?
  
After several years in the legal world, I felt myself going numb.  I needed to be living a creative life. It wasn't even a dream--I simply had to do it. So I worked as a lawyer only part time--to pay the bills -- and immersed myself in the comedy world. I took acting lessons; I even singing lessons, I performed with an improv troupe in scary parts of town.  Eventually, I started to get paid for all of this.  If I hadn't left the law, I would be typing the answers to these questions from a mental health facility.

 
3. I was looking at some of your Youtube videos. I was wondering do your kids mind being the subject of your comedy act?

My kids love being in the videos, and now they tell me whether their ridiculous comments should be posted on facebook or twitter.  
 
My husband and I have explained to them that I am playing a character on stage.  I may regret all of this when they become teenagers. 
  

4. Do you ever see yourself writing books that don't have a comedic spin? Or is there just too much good stuff to make fun of?
  
I like funny.  Funny for me is a way to tell the truth in a non-self -righteous manner.  That said, I am trying to write a story now that isn't that funny--hopefully it isn't self-righteous.  Of course it has one funny character.  I like to play to my strengths.

2 comments:

  1. What a delightful interview! Please Karen, always keep some comedy in all that you do. It makes the serious so much more palatable. I think, too, it makes the reader also more receptive in general. Plus, it's fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a Friend. And it is much more fun to write. I alugh at my own jokes . . .

    Karen

    ReplyDelete